Thursday, March 10, 2011

Piece of [cup]cake?

In my experience I have learned that whatever can go wrong... will go wrong.
And today was no exception.


I needed to make a bajillion cupcakes, (okay not that many, maybe like 150) and so I did what any sane human being would do and made it easy. I bought 7 cake mixes instead of trying to make from scratch (I did that once, lived and learned) and enlisted me sister for help.

I rounded up some cupcake pans from a couple of conveniently located friends and I thought what could go wrong? I had everything I needed... Oh wait! I forgot the eggs. Ran to the store.

Once my little Huggy boy went down for a nap I got to work. I started mixing and before I had my first batch baked my sister called, "I'm done! Want me to do anymore?" I opened the oven and to my horror discovered these weren't cupcakes! These were monsters! "Do I need to run to the store?" she asked.

How can anyone mess up a cake mix recipe from a box?

Well for the record I got a little confused by the two different directions on the back (one was for egg whites only and one for whole eggs which calls for more water). Somehow I apparently blended the two directions together and added extra eggs but not enough water. I ended up with cupcakes that looked more like muffins (still good! I can work with that) but fewer cupcakes too! Then I ran out of cupcake liners, but I saw Biggy outside...

"Honey! Oh, Honey! Could you run to the store? Thanks!"

I should have ended up with 96 but only came out with 80 and no we did not eat the difference. Kelsey had 69 (a few were sacrificed for quality assurance). That made 149 total. With all my "careful" planning I was hoping to come out on top with extra but what's one missing cupcake, right?

I'll let you know how frosting goes tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Oh dear!! Haha. That is a funny story. Poor Michaela!! I'll come help you frost cupcakes tomorrow :]

    ReplyDelete