Thursday, March 31, 2011

Liver and Onions

While the cat's away the mice will play...

One thing Biggy and I never seem to be able to do is see eye to eye on food. Being the all American boy he is, Biggy loves SAD (Standard American Diet) food. I do too, but don't tell him I said that.

But who doesn't like junk food? I admit junk food is yummy but on the other hand I really hate the way I feel after I eat it. I get tired and lethargic, basically I just feel gross. I'll be the first to admit I eat a little differently and I can't blame my husband wanting to eat what he likes either. But when it's up to him we eat way too much pizza! Since my darling husband has been out of town I have eaten a lot less goodies and white flour, and I am pleasantly surprised with how much energy I have gained. (I've noticed the difference shakin it in Zumba class).

Tonight I made liver and onions. Something that may sound a little gross to some people. But it is one of my favorite foods. I got Giovanni to take a few bites of liver but mostly he enjoyed slurping up caramelized onions like they were spaghetti.

My diet is continuously evolving. I like to think of it now as moving backward in a sense, becoming more indigenous. The way it used to be before all of these modern conveniences. And it is far from convenient, although I do use a lot of modern appliances to help me out. For instance I grind my flour fresh, soak it and/or sour it before baking it. I've recently started soaking my nuts and then dehydrating them before chowing down. I slow cook bones into broth before making soups from scratch. And I often sprout my legumes over the course of a few days before making a nice pot of beans. All of these practices improve the health benefits of my food and though it is time consuming and requires some planning it's new and adventurous which makes it fun.

3 comments:

  1. I have given up trying to force feed anyone. Imagine if the tables were turned. I wouldn't want anyone telling me what to eat, even if it is for my own good. BTW I have been getting cold sores from drinking lemon water. :l So stupid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post! I might have to link back to it sometime on my blog if you don't mind :]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well that's weird, Amberly... whenever I get a cold sore I eat more vitamin C and they go away faster.

    Brit- Hahaha, good one.

    ReplyDelete