Thursday, March 24, 2011

Dr Marsden

With Biggy being gone this week I have been a total slacker. I could not believe my eyes yesterday when I walked by the calender and noticed that I forgot my son's doctor's appointment the day before. I had made that appointment almost 8 weeks ago! His doctor, Dr. Marsden is awesome and because he is so great it is almost impossible to see him without booking it way in advance. Forget about when your kid is sick and you need a visit right away! Last week when Giovanni was throwing up uncontrollably we had to see Dr. Walker.

I called Red Rock Pediatrics to try to somehow finagle a doctor's visit without an appointment but the secretary on the phone was firm and said that the earliest appointment for Dr. Marsden would be in May. But I was persistent and she finally said I could see the nurse practitioner today but that was about it, since it was only a well child check up. But I said, "Please, I really want to be able to see his doctor since he was in the hospital last week." I must have said some magic words because suddenly a 2:20 pm window became available. I took it! And I was not late!

I love Dr. Marsden, he is really good with Giovanni (and me! I get so anxious about going to the doctor). He makes the visits feel really comfortable, he's funny and sensitive which makes it really easy. He said that Giovanni height now can be doubled to estimate what his height as an adult might be and that he would be about 5'9"-5'10" (Biggy is 5'9"). So that was neat.

He asked me if Giovanni can run, jump, throw a ball overhand. Yes, yes, and yes, even while he's sick! And then he asked me, "How many words does he say?" I told him I didn't know... but then couldn't help but brag that he's an excellent talker and uses 3 and 4+ word sentences and knows most of his ABCs and their sounds. "That's very advanced for a boy," he commented. I told him that I had heard that 30 words at two is normal and he said that he looks for 50-100 words and 2 word sentences at two. This surprised me. My son is probably in the 100-200 word range, and growing. I think he is brilliant and not just because I'm his mother. Well maybe that has something to do with it... I'm so proud of my little Giovanni, he brings me so much joy.

1 comment:

  1. We love Dr. Marsden too! He is the best! Can't believe Giovanni can say twice as many words as other kids...he's a bright little boy :)

    ReplyDelete