Monday, December 6, 2010

Sourdough

Lately I have been obsessed with sourdough, making everything from sourdough bread to pancakes, crackers and cake. I lovingly feed my starter every day, twice a day and it resides safely on the top of our cabinets where it is nice and warm. At one point every bowl in the house was being used for sourdough as I had 4 starts going and a couple of side projects like tortillas and bread. I ran into sourdough baking on a blog (I can't remember which). The post had an interesting sourdough cracker recipe that was inspired by the GNOWFGLINS' eCourse on sourdough. I signed up for the eCourse and have been hooked ever since. Not only are these delightfully sour loaves and other bake goods delicious but they are actually really nutritious too. Because the flour is soured it neutralizes phytic acid which blocks mineral absorption in the body, neutralizes enzyme inhibitors, increases vitamin content and begins breaking down the difficult to digest proteins, all of which makes me feel a lot better about my love affair with bread. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment