Friday, August 6, 2010

I Just Paid $5 for Half of a Pound of Butter!

I'm reading this really great book by Dr. Weston A. Price written in the 1930s, it's called Nutrition and Physical Degeneration. It's about how poor nutrition is taking a terrible toll on our bodies, specifically our teeth. Dr. Price traveled the world to some of the most remote places where he could study people living on their primitive diets (the control group) and areas nearby where they had been recently modernized and introduced to white flour, marmalade, and tinned vegetables (the test group). No matter where he went, and he went all over, he always found the same shocking pattern. Where the people lived on their traditional primitive diet they have absolutely beautiful teeth, perfect dental arches, very straight, symmetrical teeth with very few cavities usually below 1% of all teeth studied.


Where the people were newly modernized tooth decay was rampant and the incidence for tuberculosis was much higher. The photos below are typical of what he found and these are remote places where they don't have access to dentists.


The second generation of these people after they adopted the "civilized" diet their children had terribly crooked teeth among many other health problems.


My whole life, I have always believed that crooked teeth are hereditary and there is nothing you can do about it, but these children were coming from parents who had incredibly straight smiles and a long line of straight teeth the only difference was the diet.

It is shocking to me how much of an impact our diet has on our lives. Our diet today is so far removed from the way our ancestors ate. I was watching Food, Inc. the other day, which I highly recommend, and in the intro it said "The way we eat has changed more in the last 50 years than in the previous 10,000."

So now I am feeling like I need to change my diet again, last July I went vegan after reading The China Study. I was never a strict vegan, I ate fish and eggs on occasion and sometimes butter too but very rarely and mostly because someone else prepared the food and I didn't want to be rude. I didn't eat a lot of processed food either, but still I got cavities worse than I had since I was a kid.

Last March I stopped eating dairy products when Giovanni had a severely clogged tear duct. He was almost 3 months old and no amount of droplets of breast milk in his eye and gentle massaging would make it go away but as soon as I stopped eating dairy products his eye cleared up so giving up meat a few months later was easy. And I truely believed that these foods were bad.

With undeniable reservation I'm bringing meat and cheese back, but "old school" style. I'll take my butter yellow, please. The richer the color the more fat-soluble vitamins and I'll be eating organs and bones too instead of steak. Hopefully I can get my hands on some grass-fed animal protein sources.

My goal is to heal some cavities that have been causing me some problems and improve my overall health and feed a growing boy the most nutritious foods possible.

I had heard that you can heal tooth decay naturally so I decided to google it and came across Weston Price's book and another book I have yet to start by Ramiel Nagel called Cure Tooth Decay. It's basically based on Dr. Prices findings. I'm excited to try this new diet... I just need to find some affordable sources. I spent $4.83 on half of a pound of butter today! That's almost $10.00 a pound! But look how yellow it is compared to what I already had in the fridge. :)

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting. I'm excited to see how this helps you.

    My sister-in-law isn't producing enough breast milk for her baby. In this book you are reading (you've probably read this part) I read about an African tribe that eats a special diet while they are nursing. Two of the main things they eat are a cereal of quinoa & red millet. I called my brother & told him about it, so they will probably try it. I went to Whole Foods today & bought some of each. It's not that expensive, but I only bought about 4 scoops of each to try. I made a Greek Quinoa Salad that I am going to take to them tomorrow. I put it on my blog, if you want to try the recipe.

    ReplyDelete